Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Savages



9/10

I have had the luck of choosing some truly unique films to watch this weekend. I started out with a sci-fi classic and then a Prairie Home Companion. I followed up Prairie Home Companion on Saturday night with The Savages, which is once again a truly unique film.
The most unique about this film is how natural everything felt. Everything from the set design to the lighting of Buffalo. The dialog felt natural and even with the happy ending it did not make it feel forced.
I have always had a crush on Laura Linney for some reason and she is wonderful in this movie. She can make you smile and she make you feel like crying in the same scene. My favorite scene of hers is where she takes the pillow from the old women at the nursing home. She feels so bad about, but is at the same time resolute that she is doing the right thing while never convincing herself that it is the right thing to do.
Hoffman is great, but never seemed to stray too far from his safety zone. I loved the dynamic between him and Linney. Some of the funniest moments came from them just playing off each other.
I must say a special word about Philip Bosco as their father. Never have I seen an actor play an old man in such a natural way. The moment in the car when he turns down his hearing aid is the most powerful scene in the movie because you understand that he is still human and gets scared. He really did a lot of fantastic physical acting and some of the expressions he gives are heart breaking.
I have been using the word natural a lot in this review, but no word describes this film better. I loved all of the characters because they came with all of their baggage without thrusting it in your face and trying to make you feel a certain way. Tamara Jenkins has put together a film about family that everyone can relate to in one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment